Saturday, April 2, 2011

A Yard Sale? Alone?

If you didn't already know, we moved into a new house about 6 months ago. Well, it's new to us. {{Sidebar: If you read back, far into my archives, there is a post about house hunting and the "pot house". FYI: No...This isn't the pot house.}} It was built in 1987, so what's that tell ya? Oak, Oak everywhere!! But the floor plan is perfect for our family of 5 and I love it...except for the oak. I hate oak. I take that back...I don't HATE it. I love it...I love to PAINT it, much to the dismay of my oak loving father-in-law. (Hum...I'm pretty sure all that has nothing to do with what I'm about to say...)

Anyhoo...today's dilemma is tables. Side tables. Sofa tables. Desks. Buffets. Anything. I need them and I don't want to go buy new ones, because, I mean, seriously, BOR-RING. I want some old ones that I can paint. I got 2 from my parents. I called the in-laws looking for their old oak tables but they don't know what they did with them. Now there's only one option left. GASP! A Yard Sale.

Is it weird that I have a huge fear of yard sales? No...really. This is absolute seriousness here. Just today I drove by several and saw a couple things that I might like, but I just kept driving because I nearly had an anxiety attack thinking about getting out and walking up there. I'm trying to put my finger on exactly what the problem is. Is it because I think I'm too good to buy other people's used junk? Am I that shallow? OMGee...I think I am!!! I can just picture myself walking up and saying, "Just so you know, I'm just looking for a table that I can paint because I'm totally into the shabby chic look, you know, because I can totally afford to buy new stuff." How sick is that? I need help.

So, I'm considering takin' my best friend Xanax for a little trip to a few yard sales. At least then, I won't be alone. Strength in pairs, right?

1 comment:

Kim Taylor said...

Don't feel bad Kimberly! I have the same anxiety about going to Yard Sales! I wonder what the people will think of ME going thru their stuff! But so many times I want to stop and get stuff for Kelsey's college apartment! Ot maybe something cool for my coast house.

I feel your pain